I miss doing DIYs. It’s been a while. So while the Christmas season is slowly simmering down and things aren’t as crazy anymore, I managed to get some pocket of quiet time to myself to work on a simple project. I designed the cover of my notebook for next year! Technically it’s a 2013 diary but since I already amassed quite a lot of planners for next year, I’ve decided to use this one just for notes.
So here goes:
1) For this project I used a standard corporate giveaway planner. Got my DIY lightbulb moment as soon as I saw that the planner itself has a blank ugly carton cover, and more importantly that it came with a removable sleeve! Oh thank you DIY gods!
2) I used three origami papers, two of which have a kimono print that I’ve been admiring for a long time. I decided to use that as the main cover. As for the gold, I decided to use that as accent. I’m using the 8 1/4 sized origami papers.
3) I used 3M double-sided tape to line on one end of the origami paper.
4) I put the two kimono origami papers together to make a rectangular shape. Used this to wrap the notebook. Nothing fancy. Just the usual way you’d wrap a notebook or book.
5) At the back of the gold paper, I used a ruler and pencil to draw a strip that is about an inch and a half in size.
6) I cut the gold paper as it appears in the photo.
7) I used the gold strip and mounted it on the spine of the notebook. Used the 3M tape again for this. You can actually skip this part but I like the idea of a gold spined notebook.
8) I’m into monograms. I know. I’m cheesy like that. So I made a letter A cut-out from the gold paper and mounted it on a red sticker paper to make the A stand out. I cut the sticker paper and simply followed the A shape. I stuck it to the bottom right of the notebook.
9) I really wish I could skip this step but unfortunately with a flimsy cover made of origami paper, I know this notebook does not stand a chance against spills, grime or toddler scribbles, so I had to wrap it up tightly with a plastic jacket and I used my trusty tool for this project, my ever reliable 3M double-sided tape. No this blog post is not sponsored by 3M.
Voila! My own DIY customized notebook cover. 🙂 New year, new notebook! Can’t believe I just said that. I sound like such a geek. haha.
I look forward to more DIYs in 2013! 🙂